Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Member of the Month, October: Catie Barry

Catie is to the right, helping out at UFO!
I’ve have been involved with RPI SWE since freshman year. My experience with it has been phenomenal. Through SWE I’ve been able to reach out to the community, do things I normally would not do, and make great friends. When I joined SWE I really got involved with outreach and volunteered at events such as UFO and Girl Scout Engineering day. These two events encourage kids to pursue a career in math and science. I had so much fun volunteering at these events because I love math and science and it is fun to work with kids and teach them about it. Through SWE I was also able to attend the SWE annual conference in Houston, TX. I am very much a homebody and would never travel farther than 150 miles without my family yet I went to Texas and had a great experience. I talked to companies which was big for me because I can be shy sometimes. I also was able attend a presentation and talk to people from the Walt Disney Company. I was excited about this because I hope to be an Imagineer (Engineer who works in the Disney parks) someday. Lastly I’ve made great friends through SWE. I’ve met so many nice people here who support one another and are just great to be around. I am really glad I joined SWE, it’s one of the best decisions I’ve made.

No comments:

Post a Comment